Footage released by the Pentagon, have been withdrawn after accusations of deliberate deception.
A Pentagon spokesman excused the release saying that authorities “didn’t know it was an old file” and added that they had not trying to deceive people.
The US military on Friday released the footage from training videos seized during a raid on an al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) compound in Yemen last week, Reuters reported.
“The video released today are samples of a series of detailed, do-it-yourself lessons intended for aspiring terrorist bomb-makers and included an exhortation to use those techniques to attack the West,” it added.
But Central Command pulled it after local media reported that the video had already been available for a decade.
“Central Command removed a video it claimed was intel gained from Yemen raid. The videos are 10 years old, news organizations have had them for years,” Tara Copp of the defense department newspaper “Stars and Stripes” said in a tweet.
At least 14 militants, one US soldier and an unspecified number of civilians have been killed during the operation, US Central Command said in a statement, confirming reports of civilian casualties in the Yemen raid.
However, medics on the ground put the death toll at higher at 30 people, including 10 women and children.
President Donald Trump has paid tribute to the soldier killed in the operation, dubbed a success in the war on terror.
US authorities list the AQAP the “most dangerous regional node in the global jihad”. The Islamic State however has claimed large swathes of territory in Iraq and Syria as well as numerous attacks across the globe, including in Berlin, Paris and Brussels, while AQAP operates mostly in Yemen.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.