This post was originally published on this site
January 13, 2018 – Fort Russ News – Paul Antonopoulos
BAGHDAD, Iraq – Because of budget constraints preventing the Iraqi military from ordering more US-made Abrams, there is now a project to upgrade T-55/Type 69 tanks to a more modern standard, greater protection and cheaper operating costs than the Abrams, Al-Sura News reported.
“The aim is to transform these (T-55/Type-69) tanks into capable modern tanks in this arena,” Commander of the ‘Al Abbas Fighting Division’ Maytham al-Zaidi stated.
He then also gave a short list of expectations to be met.
- Locally manufactured electronics and ballistic computer to enable firing on the move and hitting moving targets
- Locally manufactured armor as well as Reactive armor layer imported from European suppliers
- Day and Night thermal gunners sight as well as a 360 degree panoramic commanders sight. Import country not noted.
- Encrypted communications and anti-jamming suite imported from Europe.
- Remote-operated commanders machine gun, independent of the gunner.
- Separate compartment to hold ammunition, similar to the Abrams to protect crews from breaches.
Like Thanks! You've already liked thisNo comments